Sunday, June 20, 2010

Thai Soup with curry and chicken

For the 8th dish in the cooking experiment Carina and I agreed on a Thai soup. Normally I'm not that big of a soup-person unless it has meat balls and asparagus in it but both my husband and I were pleasantly surprised by this recipe. I left out some of the ingredients or did something different from what it said in the recipe this time just to leave out some of the fat and because we are not big fans of fresh coriander or raw onion but it came out just great anyway. I loved it and it's defiantly one of the recipes I will do again.

Carina made it a while before me so I got a small preview from her, but it sounded like it was a bigger hit here than it was with her. Now I'll just share the recipe and let you be the judge of it...
For four people you'll need:

3 cans coconut milk (approx. 1 litre)
2 tablespoons yellow curry paste
4 whole chicken legs
2 dl good chicken stock or water (I made my own stock from the leftover I had after cutting up a whole chicken)
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons sweet thai soy sauce (I couldn't get that, so I went with Indonesian sweet soy sauce in stead)
2-3 tablespoons fishsauce
250 grams dried egg noodles (I put in some noodles when there was about 7 minutes left of the cooking time)
1 l. soy oil for deep frying (I didn't deep fry the noodles, I used peanuts as a topping in stead)

Decoration: Coriander, spring onions
Accompaniment: 6 quartered thai shallots and 2 limes cut into wedges
Pour the coconut milk into a pot and heat it up. Add the curry paste and let it boil for about 2-3 minutes before you add the chicken legs. Pour in the stock and bring it to a boil. Add the sugar, sweet thai soy sauce and fish sauce and let it simmer at low heat for about 30-40 minutes until the chicken is tender (it's really tender when the meat falls from the bones) If the soup reduces too much you can just add in more stock or coconut milk.

Boil the noodles as referred on the packaging. Pour out the water when they are done and keep them warm. Heat up the oil in a large pot. Deep fry 100 grams of the noodles for about 40 seconds in the hot oil until they are crisp. Pick them up with a skimmer and place them on kitchen towel to dry off. 

Pour the soup onto the remainder of the noodles in soup bowls with the shredded chicken and the crispy noodles on top. Decorate with fresh coriander and chopped spring onions. Serve the soup with thai shallots and lime wedges.

Bon appetit...

 
See Carina's experiences with this dish on her blog - HERE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related posts

You might also like: